Why we love Tom Hiddleston
By Imogen Sarre
OK, so sue me. I - and, admittedly, half the British population - am in love with Tom Hiddleston. And I have some watertight reasons for this:
1) He's a pretty perfect Adonis, on paper and off. Blue-eyed, fair-haired and (his casting biog assures me) with a deep voice and sincere character, all 6'2'' of him is pretty dreamy.
2) Tom's big break came out of Donmar Warehouse collaborations. Tom got the part of Loki in the film Thor and its sequels because Kenneth Branagh, Thor's director, recognised his great talent after starring with him in Ivanov in the Donmar's West End season.
3) He's took the leading role in Coriolanus - and recently won Best Actor at the 60th London Evening Standard Theatre Awards for his portrayal of the legendary leader.
Tom describes this meaty tragedy as 'a play for our time', saying that:
4) It's always superb to get people excited about Shakespeare.
Coriolanus wasn't the first time Tom has got us all excited about Shakespeare though - as well as performing as Cassio in the Donmar's Othello back in 2007, he starred as Prince Hal (turned Henry V) in the BBC's The Hollow Crown series.
5) He has a lovely smile.
And he holds a microphone well.
6) He's (almost scarily) talented. He graduated from Cambridge with a double first in Classics, went to RADA, and (source: casting biog again), he is apparently also pretty darn good at:
- Music: he plays the bass-baritone and trumpet.
Dancing: he can do Flamenco, Jive and period dancing. And more. See point 7 for more extensive kow-towing to his dance skills.
- Sport: strings to his bow include running, skiing, rowing, squash, swimming, tennis, yoga and - as we can see below - stage combat.
7) Boy, he really does have some moves.
8) If this doesn't make you smile you have a HEART OF STONE.
9) And you could watch him ALL DAY.
10) I didn't really have a reason to include this photo, except for the fact that he broods wonderfully well.